Oil Plus 2C is a natural, plant-based hardwax oil wood finish that is suitable for tables, chairs, desks, and other furniture. It is based on a unique molecular bonding technology, is 0% VOC and provides color (if desired) and protection in one single layer. It provides a matte-finish that keeps the wood's natural look and feel. Oil Plus 2C is available in 50+ standard colors.
Once Oil Plus 2C is applied to the wood furniture, a molecular bond occurs within 3-5 minutes, then all excess is removed within 10-15 minutes. We will cover this in more depth as we walk through the preparation, application, and clean up processes.
Things used to apply Oil Plus 2C to furniture
- Sanding machines and sandpaper
- Raw Wood Cleaner
- Oil Plus 2C
- Paint can opener
- Mixing container
- Stir stick
- Applicator Set
- Supply of clean terry cloths/towel
- Nitrile gloves
- Water filled metal can with a lid for safe disposal of oil-contaminated rags and pads.
- Sand the surface according to industry guidelines. Proper sanding is critical for a professional result. The surface needs to be evenly sanded, especially when applying colors. We recommend a final 120 grit abrasive.
Sanding to higher grits closes the grain and reduces the protection offered by the Oil Plus 2C.
- Vacuum the surface.
- Clean the surface using Raw Wood Cleaner. The technology of Oil Plus 2C enables it to make a molecular bond with the wood fibers in 3-5 minutes. If dust is present, the oil will bond to the dust instead of the wood fibers, creating microscopic paste on the working surface.
- Allow to dry (approximately 15-60 minutes)
- Shake or stir the Oil Plus 2C Part A container well to suspend any settled pigment.
- Pour the required amount of Oil Plus 2C Part A into a mixing container.
- Add Part B at a ratio of 3:1 (A:B).
- Stir thoroughly.
- If using multiple cans, mix all cans together. Keep in mind, once mixed, you have 4-6 hours to use the product.
- Apply Oil Plus 2C to the surface using an Applicator Set. Work in sections that allow you to apply the oil and remove the excess within 15 minutes.
- Allow 3-5 minutes from time of application for Oil Plus 2C to molecularly bond with the wood.
- Using a clean terry cloth/towel, remove the excess oil within 10-15 minutes. If needed, remove excess oil from v-grooves, bevels, and holes by hand.
- Perform a final wipe with clean terry cloth/towel, ensuring ALL excess is thoroughly removed.
After the 3-5 minutes, you cannot remove too much oil, however you can remove too little!
If necessary, continue working in sections that you can finish and remove excess within 10-15 minutes
Note: OP2C was formulated to not leave lap lines!
- Tools can be cleaned using Raw Wood Cleaner.
- Dispose of rags and oil saturated materials in accordance with local regulations.
Under favorable application and drying/conditions, the furniture may be lightly used or handled after approximately 24-36 hours.
After 48 hours, the oiled furniture is approximately 80% cured.
Full cure takes place within approximately 5 days.
- Do not tape directly to a Rubio Monocoat oiled surface.
- If the furniture was water-popped, we recommend using a red pad to help knock down the grain.
- Do not apply more oil to a section of the furniture than can be managed within about 15 minutes. If the oil gets too sticky during the removal process, you should do smaller, more manageable sections.
- Do not use liquids for cleaning on the finished furniture until fully cured (5 days). Only vacuum or dry dust the furniture during this time.
- Do not use any cleaners other than Surface Care Spray.
- Decor, cushions, pillows, etc... may be replaced after the final cure.